1872 - James Madison Beebe and his wife,
Esther E. Beebe, buy more than 700 acres of land on the hill above the railroad
1875 - James Madison Beebe passes away.
The Beebe children build two grand residences on the hill.
1878 - Highfield Hall is completed.
1879 - Tanglewood, its sister mansion, is finished.
1932 -The last of the Beebe children passes away.
1932 to 1949 - Highfield Hall passes through a succession
of owners and various uses.
1949 - entire Beebe estate was purchased by DeWitt
1962 - DeWitt Ter Heun passes away.
1972 - Highfield is purchased by Josephine and Josiah
K Lilly III.
1977 - Tanglewood succumbs to the wrecker's ball and
bulldozers. Highfield Hall entered two decades of neglect and vandalism.
1994 - Highfield Hall is threatened with demolition.
Friends of Highfield spring into action to save the building. The group becomes
the 501(c)(3) not-for-profit corporation know today as Historic Highfield,
2000 - Town Meeting Members authorize Falmouth Selectmen
to take Highfield Hall and six acres by eminent domain.
2001 - The Town signed a lease with Historic Highfield
to renovate and operate Highfield Hall.
2001 Restoration of the building begins
2005 the final construction push begins
2006 the first floor of Highfield Hall is completed
2007 the second and third floors are completed
2007 new parking area and path system.
2008 a campaign to fund the master landscape plan moves forward
Love the finishes, wallpapers or paint
colors at Highfield Hall?
Click here for our FINISHES BROCHURE listing
wallpaper patterns, paint techniques, and our restoration contractors.
How to Get Involved
We appreciate all offers to volunteer or donate towards
making Highfield Hall a vital town asset that serves its residents and visitors.